Sunday, December 31, 2017

Refreshed!

It felt good to take a week off from blogging, tatting, and other crafting. Now my creative juices are refreshed!

It's been a fabulous week! All four of my daughters, their significant others, and their children were all together for Christmas and a trip to Alabama to visit my mom. As an additional surprise, my mom's youngest brother arrived in Alabama on Christmas Eve and chose to stay and visit with us. I did consider getting together with tatting friends in the Mobile area, but Mom doesn't like to stray far from home, and we chose to spend time visiting in her apartment while the rest of the family explored the area.


When we arrive Tuesday night, we all took Mom out to dinner. The staff at Ruby Tuesday was fantastic and handled our group of 17 wonderfully!


It was impossible to get a good picture of everyone.


We were all having too much fun!


Luckily, there weren't many other patrons that night!


For me, the highlight of the trip was visiting with Mom's friend Sezer, and seeing many of her fabulous Oya pieces as well as other lace.


I didn't take pictures of everything.


Some of the pieces were made by Sezer.


Some of them were made by Sezer's mother.


Some were gifts.


Sezer explained how her mother used store bought pieces to enhance some of her fabric.


She also explained how some of the pieces were made.


I was in total awe!


Sezer doesn't do much Oya any longer.


She gave me a spool of beautiful silk thread, as well as some silk needles. So, you know what I'm going to try out in the new year!


We were only in Alabama three days, but it was wonderful!


Yes, I did watch YouTube videos this morning, and I pulled out my two books on Mediterranean knotted lace. I have a long way to go, but I am glad to finally have the inspiration I need to learn something new!


No, I haven't given up on Ice Drops. In fact, I came up with the idea for this one in the car. It needs some tweaking. I have to figure out some stitch changes, and I want to figure out a sequence of switching shuttles and reversing work to enhance the pattern. I think this one will take me a few days to figure out, but I'm having fun and I think that's what it's all about!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks like a wonderful Christmas celebration. I am waiting to see this new pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful lace and wonderful family time! Happy New Year! All the best for continued creativity 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a wonderful time down here. I had been thinking about you and wondering when you were visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful family time! Thanks for the eye candy too, Sezer's work is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the best for 2018, I look forward to seeing what you learn and share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An amazing post! You're already 'back to form' with blogging and keeping us aware of your adventures. Marvelous family time - looks like you had a private party! The logistics of getting everyone there boggles my mind! It seems the weather cooperated.

    Just seeing the photos of the lace is overwhelming. Is the grid piece 'needle lace'? (At first I thought it was filet crochet.) I have difficulty distinguishing the terms Oya from 'needle' lace, as they are both worked with a needle.

    Amazed how you can not only tat in the car but work out a new pattern! Looks like you're off to a good start!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like an awesome holiday time!!! :)
    Hope you are all safe and sound!! And, not too cold!!
    Great pieces of lace!!
    Love your snowflake!!! :)
    Can't wait to see your new project!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fabulous you all got to visit with your dear Mom! Wonderful holiday, indeed!

    Happy New Year, Diane!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!