Monday, January 4, 2016

Don't look too closely!


If you do, I'm sure you will find at least three mistakes. There's a ring that was pressed over on itself, an easy fix. There's a chain with a big lump, the result of kinked thread because I didn't drop my shuttle to untwist the thread. To top it all off, I missed a join. I sewed it together, so it's not super obvious. All in all, this is not my best tatting effort!

I find that when I come back to a project that I haven't worked on in a while, I tend to make lots of mistakes. Does that happen to you? I'm not quite ready to trash all my UFOs, but I do get tempted when I make lots of mistakes.

I will try tatting Nilam from Elegant Tatting Gems by Jon Yusoff again, hopefully with no mistakes!

9 comments:

  1. Well it is beautiful and sometimes I think that the variegated thread helps forgive mistakes :) I like that pattern and have that book but don't remember it so I will have to check it out again. But must say her patterns keep you on your toes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful to me!!! :)
    As for coming back to working on something I haven't in quite some time.....I just did that and couldn't remember how to get the bead in the middle of the ring(although, when I started I thought I knew) and my rings looked terrible. I thought it was just my tatting, but could not continue till I figured out what was wrong, so(as I told a friend) I went back to tatting school with one of Yarnplayers very wonderful instructional videos on Youtube and learned that I was doing it all wrong(of course!). Now, I am back on the right track! I know you will get it the next time!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely to me, I am not one who takes the magnifying glass to every picture to find mistakes,
    Look forward to see the next one.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know as soon as you say that, people are going to look! From my computer screen your project looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I AM surprised. I thought your first pattern back to smaller things would be Mary Konior's spinning wheel in blue!!!
    Love this pattern, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I was tempted but didn't, only saw the beauty of your tatting.
    Usually I have set a project aside for a bit due to mistakes, hence I forget all the problems I had when I pick it up again and repeat. Tatting is such a learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you finished this already! Looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really pretty! We're not judges, looking for mistakes!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!