Monday, June 2, 2014

Glitterati

Is that a word? Probably not, but it popped into my head as I was taking a picture of the shuttles I decorated this weekend for the kids at school.


I've never kept track of how long it takes to decorate shuttles, but because the kids asked, this time I did. I started about 9:30 in the morning. After I snipped off the tips of these Boye shuttles, Dave sanded the rough edges and the tops and bottoms with his palm sander. I usually do this part with a foam block covered in sand paper, but since I was decorating so many, Dave helped out.

I wanted the true color of the napkin to show through, so I painted each side of the shuttle with two coats of white acrylic paint. I allowed 15 minutes of drying time between each coat. The napkins or fabric seem to adhere better if paint is applied. I learned this from Decoromana's tutorial. It was a step I used to skip, but now it's routine.

After the initial layer of Mod Podge was applied so that I could attach the napkins, I used a layer of glitter Mod Podge. The kids wanted glitter, and I kind of like it myself! Four coats of hard coat Mod Podge followed, and then two coats of clear acrylic. I finished at 9:45 p.m. I completed 20 shuttles, and I think the kids will really like them!


Yesterday was daughter Alison's 38th birthday. It's hard to believe that she's 38. It seems like she was just born! Her birthday wish was to have her flower beds weeded, so Dave and I complied. Dave did most of the weeding with help from Eva and Aidan. Dan was the go-fer, making runs for flowers, mulch, and garden waste bags. I was the head bagger, with Alison supervising the work. It was a wonderful day! Pssst... do you see Eva photo-bombing in the back? Aunt Carol must be proud!


I made good use of the time driving to and from Alison's. I was finally able to finish this round of Renulek's Letnia. I don't remember which round number it is, but I'm eager to move on to the next round.


Braeden finished his first length of chain, with help and encouragement from Christian. He chose this pretty little heart as his prize because of the texture. I think it's great that a 3rd grader is inspired by texture!


I should have written down who completed this piece, but I didn't. Fancy Pants rules!


6 comments:

  1. Beautiful shuttles,
    Your doily us looking lovely.
    I hope the kids will enjoy the glittery shuttles for many years to come
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a knitting history book by Anne MacDonald whose title begins "No Idle Hands", which is kind of a 'mantra' for a lot of us crafters, but you certainly take it to its highest level! You accomplish so much every day that it makes my head spin, because in comparison I'm a real slacker! I continue to admire your passion for teaching the kids and keeping them interested and enthusiastic!

    And how nice that your husband helped you out, too! That's a lot of shuttles!

    The doily looks wonderful! Again good use of travel time! Birthday greetings to your daughter! My niece is a few years younger, but she was born 'yesterday' also! I also enjoyed your Tollway Tatters post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous and fun shuttles!!!! :)
    Gorgeous doily!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've heard the word applied to filmstars, but much better for your wonderful shuttles! Phew, it's quite a palaver to jazz them up, but the children will be thrilled. Love the idea of gardening for a birthday present!

    ReplyDelete

  5. I learned 2 new expressions today: gliterati and photo bombing, as well as decorating shuttles!
    Your school kids are Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 920That's a whole bunch of blingy shuttles! Nicely done! You are one busy lady, finishing the doily round too. Ah, nice birthday gift for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!