Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Star-struck tatting!

This is Rick-Rack Star from Oh My Stars! by Kaye B. Judt. I've done better rick-rack tatting. I'm really not sure what I did differently with this. One thing I really like about Kaye's patterns is that she tells you how much thread to wind on each shuttle. This little star calls for 5 yds. of thread. I think when I make my next Rick-Rack Star I'll use smaller joining picots. I'll also pay closer attention to the way my rick-rack looks!

My friend Denise and I are also each crocheting Lisa Naskrent's Dahlia Shawl, which can be found in the Spring 2011 issue of Interweave Crochet. This is a very pretty shawl, and the four row pattern is easy to follow once it's been established. I know I don't have enough yarn to make the shawl, but I'm hoping to have enough to make a triangle neck scarf. If not, it's not a big deal. At least I'll have made use of some of my stash! I didn't feel like playing with camera settings this morning. The yarn is really a deeper, richer purple. It's what I have left over from making the shrug I wore to my daughter's wedding last summer.

I've also been perusing hanky edgings. I have so many to choose from! I'm also trying to decide which thread to use to decorate the beautiful hanky I received from Michelle. Should I use a solid color, a variegated, or a multi-colored thread? Should I stick with white so that the beautiful hanky is the focal point? Should I use a narrow edging or a deep one? Feel free to state your opinion. It may help me make a decision!

Pssst! You can see the hanky on yesterday's post!

11 comments:

  1. La estrella es bellisima.el chal está muy bonito y de mi color favorito.Besos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh la la! I LOVE that star! I have not mastered that little trick yet, so I see I have to keep the book out! Very pretty.

    Hanky edging choices confound me! It takes me ages to pick out one and I look at books for hours!

    I do think that the colour should be simple on this one, because then you could get quite fancy with the design.

    Looking at the pic, I think you could use any colour in the hanky and it would be fine - simple or fancy.

    I get bored with white - you could use....BLUE! Or green or pink - or a thread to match the design. Have fun! I am looking forward to seeing your choice soon!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I like that pattern! Tatted stars seem to have something special about them. Maybe it's the nautical past. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome star! :)
    Nice looking shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This star is amazing! It's the first time I've seen the rickrack in something other than a chain and I'm inspired to try it!

    Lovely!

    I can't wait to see the hanky- whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hankie from Michelle is the pink version of the lavendar one I received...I'm really waffling on color myself, I keep going between a pale lavendar and white...the white details are really pretty on the hankies and I keep thinking that a white edging would really bring those out more yet the lavendar would match the roses...

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's so much on the hanky that you want to make the tatting noticeable without going overboard. If you use a single solid color, then you can make a more complex edging. I think pink would be nice. Or you could use a variegated pink if you have one that matches the roses nicely, but the edging would need to be a little simpler. Or you could use white with a solid color, probably pink but blue would also work, and make a very simple edging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is beautiful. Thank you for your kind comments on my blog. I so enjoy seeing others work. Your star is wonderful. It gives me something to try and master in the future. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love the colour and design of your shawl! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ola! Diane, querida e estimada amiga
    Aqui estou para desejar a voce um "feliz dias das mães"
    na verdade não sei se ele é comemorado aí na mesma data, aqui no Brasil será amanhã.
    Bjs querida,
    c/carinho
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!