Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Playing with shapes and threads


I love shuttle-shaped motifs! Somehow, I never seem to tat them. This weekend, I had shuttle shapes on my mind and did a little surfing for some inspiration, and when I saw Anne Bruvold's "Sandra", I saw a tatting shuttle! With a little adaptation of Anne's beautiful pattern, I was able to tat a shuttle shape in one round without using split rings. I was very pleased with myself! I then decided to make the same motif without picots. I think the one with picots looks much better. The thread is Krystledawne's size 40 HDT.

Next, I decided to try Kersti Anear's "Stumpy" in size 80 DMC. I've played with size 80 before, but this is the first time I've completed something with it. I love the way it looks!

I still had some of Krystle's size 40 left (enough for two Stumpy motifs), so I decided to tweak the width of Stumpy by increasing the count on the center ring of the side clovers from 10 to 15. I think it looks okay, but I'm not sure that it makes that much difference.

Then, just because I love blue, I made two more Stumpy motifs using Lizbeth size 40, color #656. There's been a lot of discussion regarding Lizbeth threads lately. I guess I've been really lucky. I've had no trouble at all. The colors are wonderful, and easy for me to get. Handy Hands isn't too far away from me, so I usually get next day delivery when I place an order. Yesterday, Dave and I stopped at Hobby Lobby, and I picked up two balls on clearance. I think Hobby Lobby must automatically put stock on their clearance rack once it's been in the store for a certain amount of time. The two balls I picked up were $2.56 off, and the two colors I bought were available for full price. I guess it pays to shop the clearance rack!

So, what will I do with all these shuttle-shaped motifs? I'm sending them off to Chris Hinton so that he can play with a new shuttle idea. You'll have to head on over to The Tatting Forums to read all about it. Look for Chris's post on spilling the beans!

7 comments:

  1. Your motifs look great! I know you like the look of the #80. but did you enjoy using it?

    I started tatting using fine thread and now seem to enjoy #40 and #20 as I have a lot of it. I hardly ever tat in the small stuff now and have come to enjoy the larger threads.

    I'll have to try the #80 again, after this post makes me curious!
    Fox : )

    ps I LOVE the look of those new shuttles. They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget Jane Eb has a shuttle shape also on her site! I really like the shuttle shapes, also. I think there are a few in some of the books I have from the UK designers.

    I mostly tat with 40 and 50; but, think I'll be trying 80 again ~ AFTER I get around to getting new glasses. I've waited too long to get them before I do to CA…everything in NM (at least where I live) is slower than molasses in January.

    Great shuttle shapes! You are so productive!

    xxx bj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diane, your motifs are great. You have been busy! I like the shuttle shapes too. I tatted one for a name tag, you can probably adapt the pattern to forget the little letters. Here's the link. http://home.pacbell.net/jlowe2/kathy/Pattern/shuttletag.html

    I use Lizbeth thread all the time. I've never had any trouble with it. I'm not sure I will ever be ready for size 80!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the AnneB motif the best, but that's just me. I also like the Krystledawn thread. I can't wait to get one of Chris's tatted tatting shuttles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the comparisons - but I'm still chicken to try size 80 thread. I, too, like the Lizbeth thread and haven't had trouble with it.

    I love Chris' new shuttles - very cool idea! I will keep my eye out for shuttle shaped motifs . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your all motifs have lovely colors!!
    And someday I will make too stumpy.
    Enjoy tatting!!

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!