Monday, December 17, 2007

Remembering Dad



Those of you who read my blog may be wondering why I haven't posted much lately. The reason is simple... I've been worried about my dad, but there is no need to worry any more. Dad is now at peace, and I'm sure he's in heaven watching over us.

Dad was hospitalized six weeks ago today. He had always been strong and healthy, so we all believed he would recover, but he didn't. Dad passed away peacefully at the age of 76, with Mom by his side, last Monday, December 10.

Mom, my sisters, my brother, and I all knew how special Dad was, but we were overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and friendship that was displayed over the weekend. Boyhood friends of my brother's flew to Alabama from Chicago. Cousins from Houston arrived. Over 200 people attended the memorial service.

I'm sure those of you who have lost a parent, or both parents, understand the emotions that are controlling my life right now. Dad would not want us to mourn, but rather celebrate the fact that we shared life's journey with him for as long as we did.

I'll do my best, Dad!

8 comments:

  1. Diane,
    I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I will remember you and your family in my prayers.
    HUGS!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry, Diane, for your loss! I know exactly how you feel, it is 5 1/2 years since my dad died but he stays with me every day! The smallest of things remind me of him and bring back loving memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherry is right - well said! I can't think of another thing I would have added. My mom will be gone four years in March and my dad three years in June. They are both with me daily, as Linda's dad is with her.
    We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so hard being the ones left behind. Celebrate the good memories, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your father, but while his passing was sudden and unexpected and therefore hard on the family, it is much better for him than to have had a lingering illness that robbed him day by day of his vitality and dignity. Remember the good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Echoing other comments, well said! My mom passed away in May, so I can relate to what you are saying. Keep your faith!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both my parents were gone before I was 40 and I've already lived longer than them, but their memory is always near me and I do still miss them all these years later. Celebrating their life IS the best thing. I think you have many warm and loving memories to stay with you always.
    Best,
    Gina

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!