Thursday, September 20, 2007

Blocked!


Note to myself: NEVER post a picture of an unblocked piece again! I can't believe how awful "Angelica" looked unblocked in comparison to today's scan! Since I haven't taken the time to learn how to link to previous posts... "Angelica" (on the left) is from page 100 of Mary Konior's Tatting in Lace, size 20 hand-dyed thread from Yarnplayer.

"Hope" (in case you haven't guessed, it's the one on the right) ; ) is from page 92 of Mary Konior's Tatting with Visual Patterns, size 20 Flora, color #55. I can't believe that just a few months ago I thought this motif looked to hard for me to do!

I don't think I've found the motif I want to use for Eva's tooth fairy pillow yet. Maybe I really haven't found the fabric I want to use! I'd better hurry... kindergarteners have been losing teeth left and right this week!

I'm really feeling brave with my tatting. I started an Iris Niebach doily the night before last! I don't have much done. I'm trying to work slowly so that I don't make mistakes. That's not working too well. I've already had to undo a ring and the chain before it because after I closed the ring I realized I had joined the chain to the wrong picot. I've had to go back and take that join out three times now. The first join was done beautifully in the wrong place. The next two were twisted somehow in the right place! I'm sure I'll get it right. Maybe I shouldn't wait until 8:30 p.m. to start tatting!

By the way, if any of you who scan can give me tips on how to make my scans look as clean as yours, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Shhhh don't tell anyone but I have to undo my work ALL the time.
    It is awesome to see you progressing! These motifs look beautiful! It is amazing what blocking can do for a piece.
    Can't wait to see your tooth fairy pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess my secret is out too. We all have to retat! Blocking certainly made a difference. It is beautufil, and the other one is too. Your work is lovely.
    If I were you I would make that pillow a priority!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing a fabulous job! I love Konior's patterns. I probably tat from those books more than any other consistently - or use them for inspiration.

    Blocking....can save just about anything for something. Even a mistake that is blocked can be used for something...like the Trash to Treasures challenge. I have big tins full of "mistakes". I get them out every once in a while as a reminder of what it's like to be a beginner. And I still add to them. LOL!
    :-) Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I retro tat often! LOL I love the colors in your work and it is very nice tatting. I know what you mean; in my usual haste I posted unpressed pieces on my blog and "oh my!" will never do that again. Luckily, I can change mine easily - One I'm just going to re tat.
    Yes, begin your pillow! You are definitely ready!
    Welcome to HBT, also.
    BJ in NM

    ReplyDelete

Just like you, I love getting feedback!